Pain in the arm, nausea, hypertension, not on medication

Question
I hava a pain in my right arm and have been waking up nauseus.
I am 54 5'4 and 10 stone. I have not had any illnesses and not on any mediaction.The only thing i have had is high blood pressure but not on medication
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 28 minutes later
Hello.

You have provided with good information but I would like to know few more things as this would help me in suggesting you better.

1. Since when you are suffering with pain in the right arm?

2. Is there any history of injury in the past over affected area?

3. Do you have any other associated complaints apart from this pain like, chest pain, breathlessness, etc?

4. Does pain aggravate with movement of arm?

There are many possibilities for your complaints:

1. Musculoskeletal pain due to musculoskeletal inflammation/injury: This can be diagnosed if the pain increases on specific movements or on direct pressure on the affected area. Such pain can respond to medications like Ibuprofen 400 mg taken three times a day. This generally resolves within a week. ‎

2. Frozen shoulder.

3. It could be related to nerves supplying right arm.

4. Pain could be due to cardiac problem like ischemia. It is referred pain due to ischemia and associated with chest pain/breathlessness. This possibility should also be ruled out as you are hypertensive and not on any medications.

It is important to find out the exact cause after physical examination and investigations like x-ray of right arm/joint, cardiac investigations, etc. Hence, I would suggest you to consult your Primary Doctor for complete examination and the treatment would follow according to the cause.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful.

I will be available for your further follow up queries if any.

Regards.

Follow-up: Pain in the arm, nausea, hypertension, not on medication 1 hour later
I HAVE HAD A BLOCKED UP NOSE AND BIT OF A JAGGY SORE THROAT , DONT KNOW IF ITS A HAYTYPE FEVER KIND OF THING . PROBABLY NO RELATION TO THE SORE ARM THOUGH, MAYBE I HAVE A VIRIUS OR SOMETHING. i DID TAKE TWO IBRUPROFEN EARLIER AND IT HAS HELPED THE PAIN IN MY ARM. IS NOT SORE WHEN I MOVE IT . ITS LIKE A TIGHTNING KIND OF PAIN

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 32 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

From your symptoms, it seems that the pain in your arm is likely to be muscular in origin as it is getting relieved by taking Ibuprofen.

But still I would suggest you to consult your nose and sore throat are most likely due to an arm pain.

Steam inhalation will also help.

I hope I have answered your query.

Wishing you an early recovery.

Regards.