Pain in ribs, menstrual cycle started, x-ray and ultrasound clear, itchy rash on chest. Could the pain be from my cycle?

I have pain in my right ribs about six inches from my arm pit. My cycle started two days ago and the same thing happened last month and i had to go to the er. They did chest and abdominal xrays, ultrasound of right kidney and upper abdomen and blood work. All was clear. Could this pain be from my cycle.
Also I have a itchy rash on my chest above my breasts
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
It is good that your Xrays and ultrasound has come out normal.
The mild pain in the rib cage can happen during the periods due to the heaviness of the breasts related to the hormonal changes that your body undergoes during this period.
There is nothing worrisome about this pain. It usually subsides on its own once the periods are over. Doing a hot fomentation in the area and mild pain killer like ibuprofen will be helpful in providing symptomatic relief.
You can do a self examination of your breast to detect any nodules or lump in which case further investigations might be entailed.
Mild itchy rashes are usually related to allergy or dermatitis. Applying a steroid based antiseptic cream will help in fading off the rash.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.