Pain in neck. Why did I feel wobbly? Suffered from refulx. Connected?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
6 weeks ago, I woke with a pain in my neck, it felt as though something had burst, and it left a wobbly lump in the middle of the front of my neck. I have also been suffering with reflux recently.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 2 hours later

Do you experience any shortness of breath, fever, chest pain at the moment ?

Are you able to swallow fluids and food normally or is there pain and difficulty in swallowing ?

Are you hypertensive or diabetic ?

Do you consume alcohol, any vomiting with blood ?

Any other neck, armpit or groin swellings noticed ?

According to the clinical history provided it appears you may have been a small tear or site of infection which is causing this pain. It depends on the cause.

If there is severe reflux disease, there may have been a small focus of inflammation and possible stricture formation in your esophagus or food pipe. You will need to confirm by a upper GI endoscope.

Other possibilities could be strep throat which can also cause severe pain and rough feeling.

Since the pain is acute at night, it could be related to your reflux disease.

If you are a chronic alcoholic, there may be possibility of dilated veins in the esophagus which may have ruptured but will be accompanied by blood in vomit.

Avoid spicy food, hard food, hot food, smoking or alcohol. Take semi-solid food which is bland. Drink plenty of water to keep well hydrated. Kindly consult a Surgical Gastroenterologist as soon as possible to get evaluated for the above mentioned conditions.

You can take Capsule Omeprazole 20mg twice a day, half an hour before food for relief of your reflux symptoms, under medical supervision.

Kindly answer my queries.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Pain in neck. Why did I feel wobbly? Suffered from refulx. Connected? 1 hour later
I'm sorry but I didn't say the pain was worse at night? It's no to the first three questions. I do drink socially, but don't vomit blood. No other swellings noticed. The lump is movable, feels like a piece of gristle. I have also noticed a hoarseness in my voice. The reflux is not bad.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 26 minutes later

Thanks for the reply.

It is possible you may have an upper respiratory infection or pharyngitis which is causing the lymph node enlargement. The hoarseness of voice could result from the infection. Kindly stop smoking, and drinking alcohol as they lower the immunity and predispose to XXXXXXX infections and also cancer.

You can do twice a day steam inhalation to relieve the symptoms. Avoid consuming hot fluids or food. You may require an antibiotic especially if you are bringing out yellow coloured sputum which signifies infection. Do get a thorough examination by your ENT Specialist for the same.

I hope I have answered your query.

Wishing speedy recovery.