Pain in nasal septum and gums below the septum. Have bad allergies. Suffer running nose. Relief from pain?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Aug 2013
Aug 2013

ENT Specialist
Question
This morning I woke up with significant pain in the bottom of my nasal septum. It is to the point where even if I move my upper lip the right way i feel pain in my gums right below the bottom of my nose. I get really bad allergies and I take allegra on a daily basis as well as a nasal spray (fluctonase i think its called). I still have a runny nose and a drip in my throat and my throat is a teeny bit swolen. Could they be connected? What do I do to relieve the pain? Should I be concerned?
Posted Tue, 15 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Infection of the nose

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXX and welcome to XXXXXXX

I am Dr Sriram Nathan, an ENT consultant with good experience in treating problems similar to the one your are facing.

At the offset let me assure you that although the pain is severe, the problem which you are suffering is called vestibulitis which is very common and easily treatable. If properly treated you will also not have any complications.

Since you have a history of allergy, in all probability you may also have history of constantly rubbing the nose. This will initiate the infection at the entrance of the nose where the skin is very close and thats very painful.

You need to do the following:
1. Stop rubbing or touching the nose immediately and keep it clean
2. Apply hot fomentation over the area with a clean cloth
3. I would normally start an antibiotic like amoxycillin-clavulanate along with a pain killer like acetaminophen for my patients routinely. Your doctor will know about this.
4. If the pain is very severe (which is the usual norm), then you may ask your doctor for injectable medications also for good and prompt symptom relief
5. Start also a course of anti allergy medication along with the above in consultation with your doctor.
6. Trim your nails and keep them very clean as they are the chief cause of infection of the nose.
7. The above treatment will take care of your throat problems also
8. Do steam inhalation with camphor or menthol (whichever is not irritating to you) at least twice a day for the next one week.
9. Get your blood sugar evaluated and keep it under control as infections of the nose is common in diabetes.

Finally take care and do not worry
If you are getting recurrent such infection and if the symptoms do not subside after a week then get an nasal endoscopy along with CT if the nose and sinuses done and get back to me or any other ENT

If you have any more doubts I would be more than happy to clear the same

get well soon

regards

Dr Sriram Nathan

Follow-up: Pain in nasal septum and gums below the septum. Have bad allergies. Suffer running nose. Relief from pain? 45 minutes later
I have also started having some muscle pain today such as in my neck, leg/knee, and back. Is there any possibility that these are connected? I did not get a full night sleep last night so i thought that was connected to my pain, but i just wanted to make sure

Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It may be connected

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

You must understand that in any infection some amount of body pain is normal and the usual norm.

The pain killer and antibiotics treatment I mentioned before should take care of your muscle pain also.

Also take plenty of warm water and fluids so that your muscle pain becomes better

Take some good bed rest to make sure your relief is faster and better

Wait for a week for all the symptoms to subside and If it does not get better then get back to me or an ENT doctor.

Mainly do not worry and I assure you again that you will definitely get better

take care and get well soon

Dr Sriram Nathan

Follow-up: Pain in nasal septum and gums below the septum. Have bad allergies. Suffer running nose. Relief from pain? 7 hours later
Do you think I could try using something like topical Bacitracin before going to the doctor to get a prescription? It is just so expensive for me to go because I don't have insurance that I want to try anything I can before going to the doctor. Thanks?

Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yes you can!

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

You can very well use bacitracin or mupirocin ointment and that's actually very good for such infections

Dr Sriram Nathan