Pain in lower back, insomnia, dizziness. Blood in urine. On anxiety and hypertension medication. CT scan to be done. Suggestion?

hi i am a 55 year old male. i have had pains in lower back and went to my docto about 6 months agor. He gave me cipro and thought i had an infection. The pain came back and i called and he gave me more cipro last weekend, I made an appt with my urologist who found a trace amount of blood in my urine and ordered a ct scan. although my psa test seemed to be in the normal range. Iam having a pain in rear and right butt cheek. Now for the last 2 days, i am getting really dizzy and hard to keep my thoughts and am extremely anxiuos withinsomnia. i went to the emergency room 2 days ago with dizzyness and shortness of breath . they did en ekg and a catscan on my head.They said both seemed ok. my blood pressure was high(i have high blood pressure and on lusinopril/hgtz.and gave me an anxiety prescription. Now i am really getting dizzy and confused with a pain at the base of my neck. I am scheduled a lower ct scan Monday, but im feeling like im getting worse by the minute and urinating every 10 mins. Would appreciate your help
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 19 hours later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Hypertension can explain shortness of breath, dizziness, anxiety, insomnia, confusion among your symptoms. Infection does explain blood in urine, frequent urination. Erectile dysfunction is consequence of hypertension sometimes. Loss of appetite and weakness could be due to anemia. Though your blood tests have not been mentioned.

Pain in the lower back is caused very frequently due to prostate causes, of which you have been eliminated by PSA test, which is good.

Chronic long standing urinary infections are a bit adamant and would require more than a course of antibiotics at times. So, it is in your case.

I believe it should be this that is causing you the increased frequency of urination too. Do check with urine culture and sensitivity tests - if that bacteria is a resistant or a simple one. Ciprofloxacin would do the job but sometimes, further help might be needed. Your doctor should be informed. Lower abdominal CT scan would further confirm any other causes like abdominal issues, which do not seem likely.

Anxiety needs attention now, and it is important that your BP is controlled.

Pain at neck base should be a part of the generalized symptoms. I do not speculate of a bony or ligament cause in you. It should subside as the BP comes back to normal. Get some help to calm you down of stress.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.