Pain in lower abdomen, varying intensity. What could it be?

Ive been getting pain in lower abdomen on the left side for quite some time(About 2 weeks). It comes and goes suddenly,sometimes the intensity is more sometimes it is more like a dull ache.What could be the reason behind this?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Radhika 40 minutes later
You have provided me with good information.

You are suffering from dull pain in left side of abdomen.

Do you have any other symptoms like fever, fatigue, general ill feeling, nausea, vomiting, or changes in stool?

Left sided abdominal pain can be due to many causes like irritable bowel syndrome, kidney infections, kidney stone, bowel problems, diverticulitis and constipation.

You could take antacids like Tab. Rantac 150 mg for immediate relief and 20 min before food for 5 days twice a day.
Along with that you can take antispasmodics like Mefenamic acid twice a day for 5 days.

Drink sufficient water atleast 2 to 3 litres per day.
Increase intake of fibre in your diet.
Eat fresh vegetables and fruits, avoid spicy and oily food for some days.
Eat bland diet like Idli, bread, curd rice.

If the pain worsens, then you will need to do an Ultrasound of the abdomen and Physical examination by a Doctor.

I hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.