Pain in lower abdomen. Gas medication has no effects. Symptoms of diverticulitis and bowel cancer. What is it?

Hi, I'm a 20 year old male, I'm about 230 pounds. This started around 3 days ago. Ive recently started feeling a pain in my lower left side of my stomach.. I've looked up on the Internet do many things. And all it's doing is scaring me. Talking about bowel cancer and stuff like that.. The closest thing I could find was called Diverticulitis . Which I have only one of the symptoms .. I'm not nauseous and I do still have a appetite . I thought maybe it could be trapped gas .. But I've took Gas X and it seemed to have no affect other than easing the pain a little. I don't think it's a pulled muscle either. And another thing I thought it could be constipation. But I'm not sure. I'm one of the most stubborn people so I haven't seen a doctor . So if you could help me I'd greatly appreciate it
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 31 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query. I will try my best to help you.

The pain lower left side of stomach (abdomen) is probably due to many reasons.

If you can write some more information I would be able to help you better like:-
-whether the pain is severe or mild in nature?
-any associated burning in urine or increased frequency of urine?
-is the pain constant or is it coming in spasms?
The common reasons for pain at your age can be :-
-infection in urine
-colitis (inflammation of the colon)

Don't fear about cancer as at your age it is less likely to have it (and if you don't have a family history of it).

Please revert back with further details.

Follow-up: Pain in lower abdomen. Gas medication has no effects. Symptoms of diverticulitis and bowel cancer. What is it? 1 hour later
The pain is there.. Like it's uncomfortable if I move a certain way it's more uncomfortable ..sometimes it does spasm out a little and it hurts so bad.. Especially when I'm trying to sleep .. More less it hurts when I bend back wards or turn to my left side. If I press on it . It also hurts so its sort of constant.. I know it's there but it's not like excruciating pain not less it spasms or I move a certain way.. As for urinating . It does not burn and it isn't painful .
Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 5 hours later

Thanks for writing back with the necessary details.

Based on your description, the symptoms do not point towards a serious condition like a concer. It seems like an inflammation of the colon (large intestine) which should settle down soon. My second consideration is that it could be related to some muscular ache.

Cancer and other serious gut conditions are associated with difficulty in passing stool, bowel disturbance, blood in stools, and reduction in appetite or weight changes. You do not report any such problems. So do not be concerned. It looks like a milder pathology and as described it would clear off soon.

Proper rest, plenty of fluids and some mild analgesics such as Tylenol pain relief would definitely help in recovery.

If the symptoms worry you a lot, it might benefit you to get a physical examination by your physician. A detailed examination and some tests like X XXXXXXX of abdomen plain, barium meal and ultrasound of abdomen are entailed.

Hope this answers your query. Do accept the answer if you do not have any further queries.

Wish you good health.

Take care and Regards
Could there be a possibility of a hernia ? Because I forgot to mention. I can press down on my stomach in that area and I can feel it . It's not a knot im not sure how to explain what it feels like . And the only thing that seems to be a symptom for me right now is not using the bathroom much but when I do there is no sign of blood or anything. And I'm not losing weight nor losing appetite. . So I got to thinking hernia.. Because I had it when I was a baby .
Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 24 hours later

Thanks for reverting.

Sorry for the delay in the reply.

Yes, there is a possibility of hernia too here. But, in all possibilities, it is definitely nothing alarming.

You do not have signs of bleeding while passing stools, there is no losing weight or appetite.

It is advisable to consult a Gastroenterologist and get an upper Gastro- intestinal Endoscopy done to rule the causative factor.