Pain in heel and feet area in the morning. What could be causing this?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
When ever I wake up from bed, I feel pain in my heel and feet area while waking. This happens also when I get up from chair after a 2-3 working hours. Rest all time there is no pain. Please advice.
Posted Mon, 25 Nov 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Due to plantar fasciitis. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. This could most probably be plantar fasciitis. It hurts the most with the first few steps because the plantar fascia is tight and has not stretched out yet, and throughout the day it loosens up. The best thing you can do is when you wake up in the morning, before getting out of bed and taking a step, give yourself a little foot rub. There are many things you can try to help your feet get better: Give your feet a rest. Cut back on activities that make your feet hurt. Try not to walk or run on hard surfaces. Use shoes with good arch support and a cushioned sole. To reduce pain and swelling, try putting ice on your heel. Or take an over-the-counter pain reliever like ibuprofen (Motrin). Do toe stretches, calf stretches and towel stretches several times a day, especially when you first get up in the morning. Get a new pair of shoes. Pick shoes with good arch support and a cushioned sole. Or try heel cups or shoe inserts. Use them in both shoes, even if only one foot hurts. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal.