Pain in back that resonates downwards, like severe splint. Extra strength advil helps. Permanent solution?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am experiencing a severe pain on my right side where my back and buttock meets. It is a very dull ache that sometimes resonates down into my XXXXXXX and ankle and feels like a very severe XXXXXXX splint. Sometimes the pain is so bad I feel like I am going to faint. Pain pills such as Extra strength Advil seem to help for a short period of time. This has been going on for more than two weeks now.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
The low back pain on the right side radiating down to the XXXXXXX and ankle is likely to be due to nerve compression at the spinal cord level caused by degenerative changes in the lumbosacral spine. Since you are getting relieved on using mild pain killers, the pain could be due to myofascial pain syndrome.
You need to consult an orthopedician who after an examination will order tests like MRI of spine to find the extent of damage you have suffered.
The main treatment of such pain is bed rest along with pain killers and muscle relaxants. Muscle relaxants can help with your symptoms if used in appropriate dosage in combination with a potent analgesic.
You can get the appropriate drugs prescribed from your Orthopedician after examination.
Meanwhile you can follow these measures:
- If the pain is severe, you need bed rest till the pain resolves.
- Get some analgesics prescribed and apply analgesic spray or ointments.
- While resting, keep a pillow under your knees if it doesn't bother you.
- Avoid lifting heavy objects.
- Back strengthening exercises and stretching exercises for your hamstrings daily as advised by a Physiotherapist.
- Avoid exercises in times of pain.
- Improvise your posture while sitting.
- Using an LS contour belt of appropriate size might be helpful in providing support to back muscles.
Also, maintain a proper posture while working, sitting and standing. Keep your back straight.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.