Pain in anal canal, lump in throat, hunger and rumbling stomach. Is this IBS? Is this due to stress?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Three weeks ago I began having a sudden sharp pain in lower abdomen/anal canal (only when I lie down at night or bring my legs up to my stomach) which only lasted a second and was ALWAYS relieved (and followed) by passing wind. It was happening a few times each night. I then went the doctors who gave me Colofac. I have since developed a slight ache in my upper abdomen stomach area and I burp more than normal. The best way I can describe it is that my upper stomach feels like it's hungry and rumbles a lot, even after is not painful but uncomfortable. I also feel like I have a lump in my throat. My doctor suggests I merely have IBS and has given me Omeprazole which I have taken for two days. I have no history in the family of anything similar or cancer, my blood tests and urine tests came back completely fine, I have no stool problems at all (very healthy), have not vomitted, my bowel movements are fine and I have had no bout of diarohea or constipation, it is not painful eating any foods and I can eat as much as always. I am 26, a high performance athlete, have an extremely healthy diet and have had no health problems or operations before.I am however going through a very, very stressful period of my life and the original pain has made me worry about my health 24/7, the upper stomach ache has only happened since I started worrying like mad. Could my symptoms be merely stress or IBS? I am constantly worried it is a stomach ulcer/cancer/GERD, when I worry the stomach ache seems to be more prevalent.
Posted Wed, 30 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 13 hours later

Thanks for posting your query

The information you have provided is very precise and can help any healthcare consultant come to a good clinical impression

My first word is a word of reassurance, with your type of personality that you have mentioned it is recommended you keep your morale high

Coming to your symptoms, the pain that started in your anal region could have been due to IBS [I rule out a fissure as you have no constipation, also ruled out is collitis as you do not have diarrhea or mucus in stool]

Stress does precipitate IBS

For IBS I would suggest you continue Colofac for atleast three weeks, add a good probiotic and manage your stress levels

As far as your symptoms in upper stomach and throat are concerned , it appears they are a part of stress induced gastritis or may be early reflux

Omeprazole twice a day fro two weeks followed by once for four to six weeks will help

Along with it manage your stress [It is really important] , avoid fermented and spicy meals, and if need be take an antacid

It does not appear to be Ulcer or Cancer but may be early reflux

All these IBS, Gastritis and early Reflux can be controlled if you are able to relive yourself of stress

Hope this helps
Am available for followup queries
Get Well Soon
Follow-up: Pain in anal canal, lump in throat, hunger and rumbling stomach. Is this IBS? Is this due to stress? 5 hours later

Many thanks for your response. The anal pain seems to have disappeared now. I constantly have this 'hunger' feeling in the stomach/upper abdomen though. The upper stomach continues to rumble lots throughout the day. Could this be IBS or is IBS lower abdomen? Am I able to take antacid in addition to currently taking Omeprazole and Colofac? I have also read that XXXXXXX cider vinegar, honey and aloe vera water are good. Could you advise?

Many thanks for your prompt response it goes a long way to reassuring me.
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your followup and kind words

The hunger feeling in these situations is not documented but with our clinical experience we have seen it in patients with non ulcer dyspepsia [Omeprazole will help here it may take some time]

This may not be due to IBS

You may add an antacid and alternative household remedies have their own merits and the best part is they have no side effects so you may go ahead with them

Hope this helps
Do not hesitate to ask for any clarification
Wishing you a speedy recovery
Follow-up: Pain in anal canal, lump in throat, hunger and rumbling stomach. Is this IBS? Is this due to stress? 4 hours later

Thanks again for your response. Lastly, what would you reccommend I do going forward? The reflux symptoms of constant hunger pains literally happen all day now and seem to be getting worse. There is little pain but the stomach constantly rumbles with minor ache. How long does omaprezole usually take and what is the next step if this doesn't clear up? Is there any long term damage or is this a common condition?

Many Thanks for your expert advice at a time when I needed it, this website is a great tool.

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 1 hour later
Hi Timlees

Thanks for your followup query

If the symptoms do not subside go for a Upper GI Endoscopy and if that turns out to be normal go for a Complete Blood Count, Stool Examination & Diabetes Panel

Omeprazole will usually take two to three weeks to give a good control though the symptoms of gastritis get responded in forty eight hours

There is no long term damage but you need to manage your stress levels

Hope this helps
Am available for any followup queries
If there are no further doubts, do accept this reply and rate it

Get Well Soon