Pain, hole in the ovary. Taken microgynon. Is this serious?

Hi ! My sister has taken 4 tablets of microgynon30 in 1 day. After 2 days she started feeling pain and visited a gynecologist and she has discovered a hole in the ovary. Is it serious?
Posted Sat, 30 Jun 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 6 hours later

There is no known medical condition described typically as a hole in the ovary. Ovum (egg) gets released by rupture of follicles in the ovary creating a "hole". Perhaps her gynecologist was referring to this. It can also mean pathological rupture of ovary (cyst rupture) which needs medical attention.

I may be able to understand and appreciate the seriousness of this problem if you could send across the scan reports to me. You can upload the scan reports using the upload option available on this page.

Microgynon 30 is a emergency contraceptive pill, taking 3-4 pills a day is advised by some gynecologist for emergency contraception. Such a use does not regularly cause any serious side effects. It might cause a few side effects secondary to hormonal changes which settle down, but I haven't heard that microgynon could cause a "hole"

Kindly upload the scan reports. I will be able to answer this query better.

Awaiting your reply