Pain around belly button, associated with diarrhea and bloating. History of IBS. Taking ibuprofen

I will try to explain my problem but keep it simple at the same time.

I have had a sharp pain just above the belly button which comes and goes for the last several months. This pain is accompanied with bloated belly and diarrhea. I have a history of IBS like symptoms however this pain is something new. The pain will last around 2 days before subsiding. Taking ibuprofen does help with the pain and swelling. I will have the pain about every 10 days on the average.

No fever or nausea
Bowel movements relieve some pressure but pain is still the same
Posted Fri, 22 Mar 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 1 hour later

Thanks for contacting Healthcare magic for your problem.

As I gather you have earlier been diagnosed as IBS for last 25 years. Your current symptoms are recurrent episodes of pain around belly button, intermittent, associated with diarrhea, bloating and some relief on passing stools. These symptoms suggest origin of cause in small or large bowel and can also fit well with the diagnosis of IBS.

However the only hitch is that you feel that these symptoms are different from usual IBS symptoms. I feel that this will require investigations to rule out any organic cause involving small or large bowel. Investigations will probably involve few blood tests, stool examination, colonoscopy and possibly a CT scan.

I think you should get in touch with a gastroenterologist in your area, and he can suggest further course of action for you.

If you have any other questions or clarifications, you can get in touch with me again. I shall be pleased to answer these. Wishing you all the best.

Dr Dinesh Singal