Pain and swelling in the vagina after intercourse, bleeding. Reason?

Question
swelling inside vaginaIm a 26 year old female and I have folowwing issue: my boyfriend and I only see each other every couple months. he came to visit me a couple weeks ago and the first time we had intercourse I had pain which felt like something tore open in my vagina and I was also bleeding. the pain was gone immediately after but from that point on I noticed a swelling inside that I could feel on the surface. also, from that point on intercourse had become painful. my boyfriend also said it was harder for him to enter me. we had to wait sometimes over 24hours until the swelling would go down in order to have sex again. the swelling and the main would come back though every single time. ever since my boyfriend has left again the swelling went completly away and I dont have any pain whatsoever. do you have any idea what I may have/had?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 11 hours later
Hello

Thanks for the query

Sexual intercourse can result in vaginal bleeding / Inflammation. This is quite common in virgins. Hymen rupture occurs during first sexual intercourse which can also cause bleeding.

This is a non concerning problem. It would heal in a few days. However it is better to avoid sexual intercourse for at least 15 days.

In the meantime, hot sitz bath and some analgesic / anti inflammatory ointment application will benefit you.

If pain still persists, you may need to consult a gynecologist for focal examination.

Hope my answer was helpful to you. Should you have any additional concerns, I will be available to address them.