Pain and swelling below the ear, difficulty in eating. What could it be?

I have a swell just below my right ear that extends down the cheek towards the jaw when i eat. This started yesterday at breakfast felt worse at lunch and very slight at supper last night. Today it didn't swell much at breakfast but htere is a lump below my right ear that is moderately painful to the touch.

Thank you so much
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 37 minutes later

There are some common conditions in that area which can lead to this.

1. Viral infection of salivary glands-known as mumps-normally this is associated with some generalized problems like body ache,fever.
2. Infection related to gums in that area
3. Throat infection/ear infection leading to enlargement of nodes in that area.

In case of mumps normally in couple of days both sides will get involved. It is contagious and can infect others.

You can take few measures to speed up the recovery:

Take soft diet.
Avoid cold drinks.
Drink more fluids.
Do not massage the area.
Take analgesic like Tylenol 2-3 times in a day for pain relief.

In case this does not improve in a day or two or you have fever and other problems than it is advisable that you visit your primary care physician and get your self properly examined and diagnosed.

I hope this answers your query and help you. In case you have any follow up queries, do write back to me.