Pain and ringing in ears after flight descent, used ear drops, awful sensation while moving head, loss of balance, high BP, taking thyroxin

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Following a flight recently, I have developed pain in the ear because of pressure during the descent. I used Q-tips and ear drops to try and clear wax our of the ears, but this did not really help a lot. Now I have a permanent whistling sound, but worse of all, when I move my head in bed, I have an awful sensation of spinning around and loss of balance after getting out of bed. What should I do please?
(I am 65yrs old, have controlled high blood pressure and take thyroxin also). Many thanks.
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later

Your symptoms of vertigo and ringing in the ears are suggestive of a damage to the middle ear. It can be due to infection or a nerve injury.

Now the lesion in vertigo can be either
1. Peripheral - inside the inner ear - Cochlea, or
2. Central - Along the cochlear nerve which travels from ear to brain.

You might need a CT/MRI scan of the brain to rule out lesions involving brain. Do consult your ENT doctor in this regards.

The treatment of vertigo involves using medications to suppress the impulse generation in the inner ear like cinnarizine or Betahistine. You can get these prescribed from your ENT specialist after proper examination.

Usually, its takes 2 - 4 weeks for vertigo to subside on medications. So please be reassured.

I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.