Pain and popping in the ear, episodes of hearing loss. Using hearing aids

hi i have ear pain also a pain in the cheek and hearing loss. the hearing comes and goes. i have hearing aids but when i have the ear pain the hearing aids do not improve my hearing.
i have been to see the doctor four or five occasions and he keeps giving me antibiotics which seem to have very little effect. one day i could have good hearing and the next very poor hearing.
all of the symptoms are on one side of the head (left).
my ears click a lot of the time i can hear them click when i walk.
i can not pop this ear when i hold my nose and gentle blow.
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 2 hours later

The hearing problem (on and off, the clicks) that you experience takes many causes right from the hearing aid, its position, the curvature, if the aid plugs the hole correctly or not, if the instrument is transmitting enough decibels for the hearing loss that you have. I feel it is a problem that has to be discussed both with the ENT specialist and Audiologist.

People with cleft palate are generally more prone to develop middle ear infections and more specifically glue ear which is what you are suffering from right now.

I see that you have already been operated for the same but you still persist to have problems and the most disturbing being hearing loss, it indicates re evaluation by ENT specialist.

I advise you the following things:

1. Avoid cold food and beverages
2. Whenever you feel that your ear are blocked, close one nostril and breath through the other for 1 Min and then close the other nostril and breathe through the other nose. This will help open up the middle ear tube.
I also suggest an instrument called otovent which does the same thing, but here instead of just breathing into air , you will be inflating a small balloon with your nostril. Please ask your doctor for a prescription. It is cheap and easily available.
3 . Cover your ears while travelling and also use ear plugs if you are on a plane or climbing heights

I hope I have answered your query, if there are no further query please accept my answer

I wish you good health

Follow-up: Pain and popping in the ear, episodes of hearing loss. Using hearing aids 4 hours later
when i have had a drink of beer or wine my hearing can return to normal and the ear pain will go. could this bee because of a relaxant? a couple of days latter the hearing will subside again and the pain will come back. Also when i breath through one nostril i can hear the ear drum click.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 16 hours later

Thanks for replying.

Alcohol is known to depress brain. Though it has no direct role in reducing pain, it alters the way we perceive pain. This probably may be the reason why you feel less pain when consuming alcohol.

The waxing and waning of the hearing and pain is due to the ongoing chronic disease. You are receiving appropriate treatment for it. Please continue taking the medicines suggested.

I have explained in my precious reply the cause for the clicking sound. In addition to this the clicks might arise because of the grommet operation which renders your middle ear directly connected to the external environment. Please discuss the clicking issue with your ENT surgeon. A detailed examination of ear by a competent ENT surgeon will reveal the true ear pathology.

I hope I have answered toe query. If you have no further queries, please accept my answer

I wish you good health.