PCOS, thick uterus lining. Is anesthesia normal?

D & C in a doctors office?

Hello Dr.

I am 40 yrs old. I have 1 child and I have PCOS. Last year I did a D&C at a hospital and the results came back that I have no-typia hyperplasia. 2 weeks ago I had my annual pap and it came back normal. I also had an trans-vagnial ultrasound that showed my lining of the uterus is thick..(1cm I think). Anyways, My doctor then advised me to have an endometrial biopsy to check that there are no changes in the hyperplasia, when he tried, he was unsuccessful, he said that my cervix is to tight and long. He then now wants to do a D &C in his office on 12-13. He said that I will be under anesthesia and I will be monitored by an anesthesiologist. I never hear of this procedure being performed in a gyno office. Is this safe? Is this a common practice? I am really nervous. I am concernered about waking up after profopol. I do have a heart murmur and my EKG's are always abnormal. Should I be worried? I just wanted your advice on this procedure being performed in an office rather than a hospital. Thanks for listening.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 7 hours later

Dilation and curettage is a minor surgery which is usually performed in a hospital or an ambulatory surgery care centre. It can be done under local, spinal or general anaesthesia. As you are having a murmur with abnormal EKGs and anaesthesia is to be given, the procedure should be done in an operation theatre in a hospital with all the emergency requirements.

As I believe that more information helps physicians guide their patients better, I would like to know any symptoms that you might be experiencing currently.

I hope I have answered your query.

Best wishes