PA X-ray showed bilateral hilar prominence and broncho-vascular. What does the findings suggest?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2013
Jan 2013

Question
I just had my p/a X-Ray done. The findings are: bilateral hilar prominence and broncho-vascular markings are prominent. I have NO symptoms like cough, cold, and am active. The only instance I had a problem was two days back when I had a brief dizzy spell, but it cleared after an hour. What does the X XXXXXXX findings suggest? What is the worst case scenario? Thanks!
Posted Wed, 22 Aug 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 34 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
Dizziness is a broad symptom and may be due to multiple reasons. Dizziness may be due to vertigo, nausea, breathlessness, fainting attack, anxiety.
Are you smoker or non-smoker?
Smokers may have prominent bronchovascular markings as compared to non-smoker.
If radiologist reports increased bronchovascular markings but clinical situation is not supporting then film should be taken as normal.
Without symptoms prominent bronchovascular markings has no clinical value.Any type of lung disease will definitely manifest in any form of symptoms, if really diseased.
Digital X XXXXXXX have better picture quality and have prominent bronchovascular markings as compared to conventional x XXXXXXX
Put your query if you have.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: PA X-ray showed bilateral hilar prominence and broncho-vascular. What does the findings suggest? 3 hours later
Is there any significance of prominent bilateral hilar? What are the possible diseases with the findings in my xray?

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 4 minutes later
Bilateral hilar prominence may be due to enlarged lymph nodes, any mediastinal mass, in sarcoidosis, prominent blood vessels.
As you are asymptomatic then it should be consider as normal.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: PA X-ray showed bilateral hilar prominence and broncho-vascular. What does the findings suggest? 19 hours later
I just had my HRCT chest scan done. The report is "Mild changes of cylindrical bronchiectasis are seen in both lungs. Few small fibrotic bands are seen in posterior
basal segment of left lower lobe....No other significant abnormality is noted XXXXXXX What are the possible medical problems I face now, and what are the treatment options?. If you recall, I do not have any symptoms, apart from very rare lightheadedness (which may or may not be related to the CT findings?) Thanks!

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
Presence of bronchiectasis and fibrotic band is not a good sign. Although you are asymptomatic presently but you may have fever, increased sputum production, chest pain and in worse condition blood on cough.
Put your query if you have,
Thanks,
Dr. Mayank

Follow-up: PA X-ray showed bilateral hilar prominence and broncho-vascular. What does the findings suggest? 1 hour later
What is the treatment and is it something that can be cured or managed at the present level of infection?

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 12 hours later
As you are asymptomatic presently, there is no need of any therapy.
You should avoid smoking, if you are smoker and avoid fumes and dusty whether.
Thanks,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava