Overweight,irregular heart beat,stress,panic attacks,anxiety,holter monitor,ekg,ecg

I'm a 30 year old male around 200 pounds Im pretty much out of shape and here lately Ive been having a fair amount of skipped heart beats especially during sex or exertion. I dont get any symptoms afterward but it causes my stress level to skyrocket. I suffer from panic attacks and anxiety but I'm on no medications. 3 years ago due to the skipped beats I consulted a cardiologist for a complete heart workup. I was given a holter monitor for 24 hours and also had a stress test,ekg and ecg. Everything came up fine and I was told to go run a marathon. My main problem was while wearing the Holter monitor I didn't experience any episodes. Should I even worry since the skipped beats have no symptoms associated with them? Anything I should do to relieve the episodes?
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 48 minutes later

Skipped heart beat is a sensation when you feel that the heart is racing and pounding and it can be due to various reasons such as Heart disorder, medications, anxiety, excitement, exercise etc.

Since your previous tests were within normal range you do not have any other symptoms and also you suffer from anxiety, it seems the main cause is anxiety disorder which is causing these symptoms.

Some suggestions for you:

1)Do some form of exercise daily as jogging,walking etc.

2)Reduce caffeine intake as they have a major affect in increasing the aforesaid symptoms.

3)Practice some relaxation techniques as Meditation, XXXXXXX breathing exercises, they will help you in anxiety even.

4)Have a well balanced, nutritious diet and avoid fat.

5)Restrict smoking and alcohol.

6)Have adequate sleep.

7)Reduce anxiety and stress levels.

If along with skipping heart beat you notice any other symptom as chest pain, breathlessness, dizziness, sweating then consider visiting an ER for evaluation.

Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Overweight,irregular heart beat,stress,panic attacks,anxiety,holter monitor,ekg,ecg 32 hours later
At my age how often should I get a heart workup? I have a family history of heart disease but normally not until later in life. Its been about 4 years since my stress test and ecg/ekg/holter.
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 2 hours later

Thanks for the follow up

Since you have a history of heart disease. it is advisable to get a yearly check up.

Hope this helps.

Wish you good health