Overweight, want to go for liposuction. Side effects?

Hi Doctor,
My wife is in overweight, I want her to go for liposuction. Can you suggest me, is it good or bad to go for liposuction?
Posted Tue, 21 May 2013 in Weight
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Although any body can go for liposuction but it would be good if you could tell me her height and weight.
Please also tell whether she is suffering from any type of disease like hypothyroidism or polycystic ovarion disease.
Waiting for your reply.
Follow-up: Overweight, want to go for liposuction. Side effects? 7 minutes later
Thank you sir for you prompt reply. She is 5'4 and weight is 100. She has not suffering with any diseases like you mentioned above.

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 6 hours later
After coming to know of your wife's weight,i would like to state that you can not safely loose any significant weight from liposuction.
Liposuction is not a wight loss technique.
It is basically a body contouring and shaping technique.
Whatever fat you remove by getting the liposuction done,find it's way back into your body.
What you weigh is determined by what you eat and what you metabolise.
If you eat less or exercise more ,you would loose weight.
Going by your height and weight,your BMI comes to around 38,which is highly obese.
I would want you to consult a dietician and get a proper diet defined for your wife.
Along with a proper diet,a proper set of exercises should be advised for you by a physical trainer.
Keep a goal of time frame of 6 to 9 months to see the effect of diet with exercises.
If it fails then you may think of opting for bariatric surgery.
It is very important for your wife to loose weight as this much weight has serious repercussions in the form of developing hypertension,diabetes,cardiovascular problems,joint pains,cancers etc.
I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck