Overweight, abdominal obesity. 1200 calories enough for a 49 year old?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am 49 years old and have been overweight most of my life. I am 4'11" and after not weighing myself for a long while I weighed myself to find out that I weigh 178lbs. I was shocked and want to lose weight.

I have a question about abdominal obesity. I measured my waist and I may only be 35" but given my height, is this not very large? I look to be XXXXXXX shaped.

I am planning to keep my calorie intake at `1200 calories. Is this good?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Obesity or being overweight is measured in terms of body mass index.
As your BMI is more than 25, you do fall in the category of being overweight. A waist size of 35" is also on a higher side.
Following steps will be helpful to reduce weight:
• Buy one weighing machine preferably digital and measure weight every week, on a fixed day and on empty stomach in morning. Write weight in front of date in calendar or diary.
• Most important thing to lose weight is to remain motivated towards your goal. So fix your goal in form of target weight like start with target of 75 kg. Target around 2 kg weight reduction in every month as it will not disturb physiological functioning of body.
• Inform your family members about your plan to reduce weight as it will help to continue your motivation towards your goal.

• Make your dietary chart as what have you eaten in last day and calculate calorie value of that food. You can get calorie value of food items easily on net.

• Restrict your calorie intake around 1500 k cal per day. Starting with 1200 Kcal is a bit on lower side. Eliminate food items containing sugar and fat from your diet. Increase consumption of salad and fruits in your diet as it will mobilise your fat. Using these principle and according to your dietary habits prepare your own diet chart and stick to that plan.

• Do not try to reduce weight very fast as it is harmful to health.

• In exercise plan: Incorporate aerobics and brisk walk in your exercise plan at least for 30 min a day.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.