Overweight. Treated for ear infection. Have high heart rate and mild fever. Viral pneumonia?

My son is 25 years old moderately overweight and got treatment for an ear infection. He had 10 days of amoxi and completed it. The chest became symptomatic with upper respiratory Bronchitis symptoms. This is the 5th day, of resting. They started him in a walk in clinic on Omnicef.On exertion -stairs the heart rate went to 170. I am a RN. D Dimer negative-chest xray negative He normally has seasonal asthma.I suspect lungs were inflamed due to all our inversions in Slc UTah prior to the illness.Saturday he had 2 liters of fluids and I took him to the ER Sat/ and Sunday. Resting Hr this am was 110 and temp 100.0 no caffeine ingested. And HR still off the charts with stairs or exertion. Lortab was replaced for cough over codeine. He was placed on amilodipine. No antivirals given or swab tests. It is behaving like a viral pneumonia? No other meds. Labs were fine.
Posted Sun, 31 Mar 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Even after 5 days of antibiotic treatment if the heart rate is high and mild fever is present then a viral pneumonia is likely.

A swab culture will help in confirmation of the diagnosis. Steroids- both oral and inhalers might be needed for symptomatic relief. Keep him well hydrated. Fluids can help reduce the dryness of the airway and help symptoms.

Also give him a regular steam inhalation with few drops of eucalyptus oil to loosen up the build up of mucus. Taking acetaminophen 6 hourly will help in reducing the temperature and will thus keep the heart rate within normal limits.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Overweight. Treated for ear infection. Have high heart rate and mild fever. Viral pneumonia? 5 hours later
Dear Dr Tayal,

Thank you so much for your advize and concern. We so appreciate your prompt response.
I as a nurse I had this years ago and it was diagnosed. I asked in the Er if my son could benefit from some solumedrol. I was just peered at, and the Dr. said there is no wheeze, not accounting for his inflamation of the lungs. And the exertion and stairs we have at home was causing the high heart rate so they left him in the bed with a demonstrated heart rate of 120's at rest.
It can be very frustrating.
Take care,

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 22 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Steroids like Solumedrol will help all kinds of inflammations whether it is bacterial or viral. If the resting heart rate persists at 120 even after the fever subsides then getting a second opinion form a cardiopulmonary specialist is recommended.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.