Overweight. Need advice on diet and exercise to reduce weight

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Hello Doctor,

I am over weight. In order to reduce my weight i am following Certain Diet also doing some Exercises in Home. Eventhough my weight is not reducing. Can you give some suggestions regarding this.

Thanks & Regards,
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Weight Loss
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
There are multiple causes for obesity which can range from minor malnutrition or hereditary weight problems to hormonal disorders.
Depending on the cause & severity the management for weight loss differs.
In order to be able to give you specefic guidance I would like to know few details like,
1.Your weight , your height and body mass index( if known).
2.Your diet ,calorie intake(if known).
3.Any investigations done like lipid profile or serum cholesterol.
4.Any associated symptoms or medical history or family history of obesity(overweight)
5.Type of work and physical activity done, type and duration of exercises done.
Hope you get back to me soon with relevant information.
Awaiting your response.
Follow-up: Overweight. Need advice on diet and exercise to reduce weight 2 days later
Hello Doctor,

Thank You for your quick response Doctor.
Please find the answers for your quaries below.

1. Weight=90Kgs, Height= 170Cms & BMI= 31.1 Kg/m2

2. I have no idea about Calorie intake. I can XXXXXXX a rough food intake.
Morning: oats often or Tiffin rarelly or wheat Bread without Bread without Jam.
Noon : A Cup of Rice with Dhall or Curd or any Curry along with Greens or Vegetables
Night : Four Chapathies or Food made of Wheet Ragi.
XXXXXXX Tea : Two Times a day without Sugar & Milk.
Evening : A Cup of Tea or Fresh Juice.
Non Veg : One in a week or rarely Twice in a week - Chicken or Fish

3. No

4. My Mother is lean & My Dad was lean in his teen age & become fat now.

5. Regular work in Desk with no Physical activity. started doing Exercise from a couple of months for an hour minimum.

Awaiting for Reply.

Thanks & Regards,
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 9 hours later
Thanks for the details.
As per definition, you are suffering from obesity.
A person with a BMI of 18.5 to 24.9 is considered to be at a healthy weight. A person with a BMI of 25-29.9 is considered to be overweight. A BMI over 30 is considered obese.
Your diet seems to be appropriate except that the meal at night should be lighter including 2 chappati with vegetables and dal and should be taken 1_2 hrs before bedtime.
Also it's better to eat five smaller meals including a snack or fruit at mid morning(11 am) and tea time (4 pm)instead of just three full meals.This helps in regulating the blood sugar and insulin levels and the resultant effect on weight.
The cause of your weight gain seems to be sedentary lifestyle which unfortunately has become a common problem for people with desk jobs.
Our body weight is determined by the amount of energy that we take in as food and the amount of energy we expend in the activities of our day. Energy is measured in calories. If your weight remains constant, you are probably taking in the same amount of calories that you burn each day. Since you're slowly gaining weight over time, it is likely that your caloric intake is greater than the number of calories you burn through your daily activities.
As a rough estimate, an average man 31-50 years of age who leads a sedentary lifestyle needs about 2200 calories per day to maintain a normal weight.The most effective method for weight loss is reducing the number of calories you consume while increasing the number of calories you burn through physical activity. You can achieve this either by cutting back on your food intake, by increasing physical activity, or ideally, by doing both.A person who spends 45 minutes walking briskly will burn about 300 calories. But the same can be gained by a serving of fried fish.
So first and foremost self realisation and self monitoring should be done.You may follow the following tips,
1.Ensure 45 minutes of daily exercise or brisk walk regularly.
2.Make a diary for writing your goals, your diet and exercise schedule which will help you in knowing your exact problem areas and progress.For eg you need to lose around 15kg atleast and the ideal way is to reduce one kg every 15 days.
Its important to set small goals and focus on these rather than the end result.Decide where you
want to be in a week or in a month, rather than focusing on the total amount of weight you'd like
to lose.
3.Avoid stress or fear of failure in your attempt as it is a major cause of weight gain .
4.You may need support in the form of advice and monitoring under expert guidance for step by step planning and execution.For this you may consult a doctor specialising in obesity management (endocrinologist or physician).Alternatively you may join a reputed gym with personal trainer and nutritionist.
I am sure you will be seeing positive results soon as this problem does not seem to be hereditary in your case & you do not tend to overeat.

Hope that answers your query.
Wishing you all the best.