Ovarian cyst removed. Done MRI to cheack the healing progress. What are symptoms of having ovarian cyst?

Average
Question
I had an ovarian cyst removed 4 years ago. My gynecologist could not find it when I had pelvic exams during the time I had it. It was found accidently when I was having an MRI on my hip to check the progress of the healing of my torn piece of tissue on my hamstring. What are the symptoms of having an ovarian cyst?
Posted Tue, 17 Jul 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 3 hours later
Hello

Thanks for writing to us

Ovarian cysts are of various types like simple serous cyst , polycystic ovaries , endometriotic cyst , complex ovarian cyst , dermoid cyst etc

Most common is simple serous cyst

Symptoms may vary or it can be asymptomatic as in your case

Symptoms are pain in lower abdomen , irregular bleeding , infertility etc

Sometimes the pedicle of ovarian cyst gets twisted and ovary gets necrosed which causes acute pain abdomen and needs an emergency surgery

If it is complex cyst then MRI and tumour marker test CA 125 are usually done.

It can be sent for biopsy after removal if your doctor feels like

Yours must be a simple serous cyst which was asymptomatic.

Any further query is most welcome

Follow-up: Ovarian cyst removed. Done MRI to cheack the healing progress. What are symptoms of having ovarian cyst? 21 hours later
Hello Dr. Bhagia,

My left left ovary had multiple dermoid cysts that had been removed few years ago. Other than going to the doctor to get checked for cysts, is there anything that I can do to prevent having another ovarian cyst? If I have an ovarian cyst in the future, is there anything that I can do to make it go away without having surgery?

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 2 hours later
Hello

Dear

Dermoid cyst are formed during fetal life when skin is trapped during develpoment that is why they contain skin structures like hair follicle , sweat glands and teeth

They are asymptomatic and usually benign but can cause infection , rupture and sometimes cancer but chances are very rare.

You can't do anything for their prevention as they are from birth and if you are not having cysts in other ovary then it is less likely for them to develop now

For the prevention of polycystic ovaries you should remain active and should not put on weight.

Regular follow ups with ultrasound is required

Thyroid function tests should be done

Any further query is most welcome

Best wishes

Follow-up: Ovarian cyst removed. Done MRI to cheack the healing progress. What are symptoms of having ovarian cyst? 17 hours later
What are polycystic ovaries?

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 8 hours later
Hello

Welcome back

Polycystic ovaries occur due to hormonal imbalance and the capsule of ovary becomes thickened and there is no ovulation

It is investigated by ultrasound , FSH , LH , Prolactin levels , testostesterone and fasting insulin levels
There is usually weight gain and scanty periods and there can be hirsuitism or excessive growth of hair

The treatment is done medically by metformin drug

They are usually associated with infertility

Any further query is most welcome