Operated for broken back bone. Paralysed below waist. MRI done. Is it possible to recover completely?

Neurologist, Surgical
My friend male 31 years fell off the roof of his house last month and broke his back. Operated in Kolkata. Paralysed below his waist now including his urinary and excretory functions. Sending his Discharge Summary and MRI report.
I a recovery to normalcy possible? How?
Posted Wed, 8 Aug 2012 in Stroke
Answered by Dr. Shivakumar S. Kupanur 8 hours later

I have gone through the discharge summary and radiology reports. It would have been great if current examination findings are available to answer you better.

As per discharge summary, he had grade 0 power at the time of discharge. If the grade is same even now, I am sorry to say that chances of improvement are remote.

Chances of improvement are better if he has at least some motor movements and sensation. That too, it will take its own time to improve. It is difficult to predict at this level and with the available information.

Continued physiotherapy is the answer for your friend right now.

I hope, this answers your query. I will be available for follow up query if any.