Open pyeloplasty, ureter reconstructed, throbbing pain in the operated area. Time needed?

Hi,I had open pyeloplasty 2 weeks urether was reconstructed.I was discharged after 2 days of surgery.I already had my follow up visit and given the go ahead by my urologist to resume normal activities.I was at work yesterday driving to and from work.Last night I experienced lots of pain at the operation site, a pressing down,throbbing pain,but im fine now.Is this because of the driving or do you think I needmore time to heal? Is this normal?
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 1 hour later

The pain you are experiencing at the incision site is probably due to the fact that you had surgery recently.

Pyeloplasty incision usually heals in 4-6 weeks and restricted activity should be done for first 3 months. However, you can certainly start your work.

Is your stent still in situ? It can also be the cause of pain.

If the pain is severe and affecting your work, report back to your doctor.

Hope my answer is adequate. I will be available for follow ups should you have any more concerns.

Follow-up: Open pyeloplasty, ureter reconstructed, throbbing pain in the operated area. Time needed? 2 hours later
Hi Dr Goel

Thank you for your answer to my question,I had no stent in, my urologist reconstructed a damaged urether.Can driving a vehicle so soon further exacebate pain? do you think I should avoid driving? and if so after how long should I wait before I drive
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 2 hours later

Driving should not exacerbate your pain. You should limit your activities rather than restricting driving.

The pain was probably function of overactivity rather than driving. You should restart driving. However, if pain reappears then you should get back with ultrasound of the affected side.

Hope I have answered your query.

Wish you good health
Follow-up: Open pyeloplasty, ureter reconstructed, throbbing pain in the operated area. Time needed? 18 hours later
Hi Doctor

The pain im experiencing is XXXXXXX into the vagina area,it is not an infection as i have had a UTI before so i is a burning sensation XXXXXXX inside,is that part of the op and yes and when I resume normal activties there is throbbing and a pressing down feeling in my vagina.

Sorry to inconvience you like this but even after I rest it still burns inside

Is this part of the op?

Thank you for your time

Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 1 hour later

I really cannot pin point the cause of your pain. It is probably not related to your surgery.

If the XXXXXXX seated pain is disturbing your normal activities, you should surely get it evaluated and sometimes an Ultrasound abdomen and pelvis. You can then get back to me with the opinion of the Radiologist.