On yaz pill. Started getting dark brown clots. Side effect?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I am on yaz the pill and am have way through my cycle. I have started bleeding but it is a really dark brown and lots of clots or lining. This happened two months ago but not last month. This time it is really heavy. I was on microginon 50 and never had this issues but had other side effects. What do you think?
Posted Tue, 15 Jan 2013 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 9 hours later
Yes many women on yaz pills do experience heavy or irregular bleeding , unpredictable spotting and bleeding on intercourse .
Infact these are some of the reasons for their switching to another contraceptive or stopping yaz .
You need to consult your gynaecologist if the bleeding is excessive ( clots) and prolonged ( > 1 week) because it may cause complications like blood loss induced anaemia .
With microgynon too you might have has sideffects like nausea , headache , mood changes, water retention , weight changes etc.
Please remember that all pills are hormonal and mostly contain estrogen and different types of progestins and there is no pill without sideffect . You just have to choose the one which you feel is most comfortable for you.
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.