On thyroid medicine for thyroid problem. Stopped taking medicine now. Blood test done. Thoughts?

Hi, I am 42 year old lady & weigh 47kg, had thyroid diagnosed 2 years back & was taking 25mcg as TSH level was 6.4. Seven months back I reduced the dosage to 12.5 mcg & kept blood test regular, Five months back the last report was T3 was 2.89, T4 was 1.30 & TSH was 3.040. Being overconfident I stopped taking any medicine 1 month back & blood report today is T3 - 2.78, T4 - 106, TSH - 6.134. Please Suggest!
Posted Sat, 4 May 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 8 hours later
I reviewed your attached lab test results. Do you have a family history of hypothyroidism? Do you have a neck swelling?
I recommend checking your blood for 2 tests called thyroid peroxidase antibodies and thyroglobulin antibodies. if either or both are positive, then you most likely have Hashimoto's thyroiditis that causes permanent lifelong 'hypothyroidism'. Even based on the current reports it seems that you quite likely have hypothyroidism that is mild and that you will benefit from taking the thyroid medication. This is sometimes referred to as subclinical hypothyroidism.
Pursue this weblink for more information WWW.WWWW.WW WWW.WWWW.WW