On thyroid medication. Should I take the medicines life long?

General Surgeon
I have been on thyroid meds for 12-15 years. I was told I could one day be off of them and another doctor told me that once you start taking them you have to take them your entire life. Which is true?
Posted Sun, 17 Nov 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Duration Depends on Thyroid Pathology

Detailed Answer:

Greetings of the day

Dear Ms Deblovesvic

The duration of taking thyroid medicine depends on type of thyroid pathology. If there has been Hypothyroidism that is low thyroid hormone due to destruction of thyroid gland because of autoimmunity or inflammation, the duration of taking thyroid hormone is usually lifelong.
I would also like to bring to your kind notice that supplemental doses of thyroid hormone given for longer duration does not cause ill effects on the body.

I hope i have cleared your doubt, in case you require any other clarification kindly get back to me.

Wishing you a healthy life ahead.

Take Care

Dr Deepak Kishore
Consultant Surgeon