On prozac to treat dysthymic disorder. Is it safe to take celexa?

have a case study for a class and I need help with an answer....

XXXXXXX is a 45-year-old female of average height and weight. Her family physician prescribed the SSRI anti-depressant medication Prozac to treat to her dysthymic disorder. Her initial dosage was 20 milligrams per day, which helped her somewhat. Two months ago, you and her family physician agreed that she should increase her dosage level to 40 milligrams per day. She has taken 40 milligrams for 2 months, and her depressive symptoms have completed subsided.

While in the waiting room of her family physician, XXXXXXX learns that another patient, XXXXXXX is taking Celexa, which is also an SSRI anti-depressant medication. XXXXXXX is nearly twice Jane's size and several inches taller, but only needs 20 milligrams of his medication per day. XXXXXXX decides she wants to change her medication to Celexa so that she can take a smaller dosage.

Which of the four aspects-absorption, distribution, biotransformation, or excretion- XXXXXX is experiencing?

Analyze the effect this aspect and the psychotropic drug have on XXXXXX neurotransmission and hormonal system.

Posted Sat, 4 Aug 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Baheti 15 hours later
Thanks for posting your query to XXXXXXX
I think this is a hypothetical case.
you both are SSRI but different molecules with different chemical structure and 1mg of prozac (Fluoxetine) is not equal to 1 mg of Celexa (Citalopram).
The dose range of these two molecules is also different.
Both the molecules are different as regard to there absorption and biotransformation.
The Prozac active metabolite has a longer half life as compared to the celexa.
It may be that XXXXXXX is rapid metaboliser hence requires larger doses of Prozac.
Also some times the depression is so severe that you may need higher doses than mild depression. XXXXXXX might be in severe depression while XXXXXXX may be having mild depression hence responded to a small dose.

Hope i have clarified your query.

Neeraj Baheti
Follow-up: On prozac to treat dysthymic disorder. Is it safe to take celexa? 6 hours later
You are welcome.

I wish you the best of luck. If you do not have any more queries for me now, please close this discussion.