On oxygen. Which appliance is safe? Taking coumadin. Risk of bleeding during surgery?

I am on oxygen 24 hrsl dayl How sequre is this appliance so that I eo not have to worry about it falling outl Also I am on Coumadin. Is there a risk of excessive bleedning during the surgery. XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 12 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 5 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

Oxygen can be delivered through nasal prongs or an oxygen mask. Both of these appliances are quite safely placed by the nursing staff or the treating doctor. Although an oxygen mask is better at delivery of oxygen and cannot fall of as easily as nasal prongs.

Coumadin (warfarin) will have to be discontinued at least 3-5 days prior to surgery. It can be restarted after surgery as soon as the patient can tolerate oral fluids again. If coumadin has been discontinued at least 3-5 days before surgery, there is no risk of excessive bleeding during surgery.

I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications. I would gladly help you.

Best wishes.