On olmax 20mg for blood pressure. Started gaining weight and have swollen feet. Side effect?

Sep 2012

I am taking olmax 20mg XXXXXXX press xl 5mg and 5mg amledipine for blood pressure ,ihave gained wt. 5kgs in one month and my legs and feet are swollen ,is this effect of above medicine .what should I do to remove Edema. My mail I'd is YYYY@YYYY .
Posted Sun, 30 Dec 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 19 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Firstly, the symptom you described indicates presence of peripheral oedema.

Olmax contains olmesartan. It has side effect like peripheral oedema as you described. The Minipress XL also has same side effect. But gaining weight is not a side effect of any of these. Amlodipine has very few side effects.

In my opinion, it is really a side effect of these drugs. But, at the same time you should do blood test for serum urea and creatinine for the assessment of renal function. Total protein and albumin, globulin levels are also to be done . If these are normal. Definitely, you are having side effects.

You should consult with your treating doctor about this and for readjustment of the drugs and their doses. In your condition, telmesartan is a more appropriate drug and it has lower side effects.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.