On nuva ring. Feeling sore and dry after having sex. Took monastate. Am I at the risk of STI?

burningI had sex with this guy, and when we finished I was sore, the next day my clit was very dry, I thought out could be like an yeast infection, so I took Monastate I put the itch burning cream on me that came with it but it doesn't seem to work. i'm also on the nuva ring and last time I was on it that happened can I be Allergic to it, also when I use the bathroom it Burns when I urinate, and the skin is pealing...what could this be? STI/ yeast infection/
Posted Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 2 hours later
Hello I would be happy to help your with your question.

I do not think that this sounds like an STI because the symptoms started so quickly after intercourse. With most STI's there is a slight delay of days until the onset of symptoms.

Also this is unlikely to be related to a reaction to the nuvaring. Again, the symptoms started with intercourse, likely not when you placed the nuvaring.

What this sounds like is a yeast infection. When on low dose birth control such as the nuvaring, you might be at greater risk for vaginal dryness and infections.

The best way to proceed would be:
1. Avoid intercourse for now
2. Call you doctor for oral diflucan- a better yeast medication
3. You could consider some over the counter hydrocortisone cream for the inflammation around the clitoris.

I hope this helps. Please ask if you have additional questions!