On medicine for sinus infection. Feeling nauseous, hurt burn. Chances of thyroiditis from so many antibiotics?

ENT Specialist
Question
I was on doxicyclene for 10 days and then Suprax for 10 days and prednisone for sinus infection, as the doxicyclene didn't seem to be work. The sinus infection has since resolved but during the last 4 days of the Suprax I started to get very nauseaus and even experienced vomiting. I called my doctor and she said it was a very strong antibiotic and this was normal. But in the week since I've stopped taking it (this past Sunday was last day) I wake up shakey every morning and fight nausea off and on all day. My heartrate was soaring and had lots of palpitations for the first few days but that seems to be gone now. And now I also get heartburn with almost everything I eat. I started taking a probiotic because I think I'm depleted of good bacteria but why the shakiness and nausea? Do you think it could be thyroiditis from so many antibiotics? Earlier in the week the front of my neck was sore but this has since gone away and I attributed that to coming off the prednisone since it felt like whiplash kinda muscle soreness.
Posted Fri, 20 Jul 2012 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Hi

Thanks for the query

The symptoms you perceive are due to the side effects of the medicine prednisolone.

Suprax (cefixime) is not the drug of choice for sinus infection. You require antibiotics such as either a combination of amoxycillin and clavulanic acid or cefuroxime, a mucolytic (such as bromhexine or ambroxol) and saline nasal spray followed by steam inhalation.

Secondly, the symptoms you are having at present are due to the gastritis, which could be due to one of the side effects of the drug prednisolone. You can stop prednisolone for time being and take a prokinetic (such as domeridone) and a proton pump inhibitor (such as omeprazole or pantoperazole) which helps in reducing your symptoms. Drink plenty of warm water, avoid coffee/tea/alcohol/smoking. You will be definitely alright.

Finally, it is very unlikely to be the symptoms of thyroiditis.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: On medicine for sinus infection. Feeling nauseous, hurt burn. Chances of thyroiditis from so many antibiotics? 1 hour later
But I am no longer on either drug. I stopped the Suprax on 6/24 and the prednisone on 6/22. So would I still be having these side effects after a week??

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 15 hours later
Hi

Thanks for writing back

Yes, sometimes the side effects of prednisolone can last for few days even after stopping the drug.

Probiotics are needed only when symptom of loose stools are noticed. But, in your case it is more of acidity related problems which can be secondary to the above medicines. At this juncture, probiotics are of less use and the symptoms will not be relieved.

It is wiser to start on the medicines for the treatment of gastritis (proton pump inhibitor and a prokinetic), which will definitely give relief.

Any more queries you are welcome. Wish you good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: On medicine for sinus infection. Feeling nauseous, hurt burn. Chances of thyroiditis from so many antibiotics? 3 hours later
Hi Doctor,

Are these medicines, the proton pump inhibitor and a prokinetic, OTC drugs or do I have to see a physician for them? Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 6 hours later
Hi

Welcome back

Proton pump inhibitor and prokinetic drug should be taken with doctor's prescription.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon