On medication for diabetes mellitus type 2. Having burning sensation over lower limbs. What would be the cause?
User rating for this question
my brother is 52 years old. he has long standing, DM type 2 , it is well controlled on oral medications. recently he is complaining of burning sensation over lower limbs. he is wondering, what would be the cause?
Posted Thu, 28 Nov 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: Pain, temperature and fine touch testing required Detailed Answer: Hi, It is common complaint from people who have long standing diabetes. They would lose pain, temperature and fine touch sensations. I would not say that your brother would have lost it too, but there is a definite indication to test for these by the doctor. IF they are lost a high suspicion of diabetic neuropathy. The uncontrolled blood sugars can delay the signals in the long nerves that travel to the foot. If the sensations on the foot are not lost on examination, we should think of nutritional deficiency like Vit B1, B12. I would closely exclude the skin causes like Eczema for such patients. For now let him apply CALADRYL lotion if it helps him. If it does not then it may not be skin cause. Hope this helps.
People also viewed
- Ecotrin 81 mg
- Vivitrol 380 mg
- Discharge planning for diabetes mellitus type 2
- Glucophage 850 mg
- Ecotrin 325 mg
- Diabetes mellitus type 2 and gastroenteris
- Lump forehead sensitive colorless
- What colour should healthy lips be
- Colposcopy and paper towel discharge
- Drugs/medication for Diabetes mellitus
- Massive hypoglycemic reaction
- Can you detect hiv through colposcopy test
- Ivf for diabetes mellitus type 2 with nephropathy
- Diabetes mellitus type 2 diet
- Liposarcoma next to spinal column