On medication for depression and underactive thyroid gland. On HRT and have gained weight. Suggest?

Dec 2012

I am on medication for depression and underactive thyroid gland. I am on hrt about six months and have gained a lot of weight. I suffer with migraine also. A beauty therapist suggested I cud have ultra sound for belly fat and it would help. I would be grateful for advice

Posted Sun, 8 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I can not see how ultrasound can help with fat

Detailed Answer:
I appreciate your post and hopefully I will be able to help with your situation,

Personally, I do not see how ultrasound can help with abdominal obesity. Ultrasound can only be used to scan through abdominal organs to determine any abnormalities. If your worry is belly fat or obesity, then you will require another approach to deal with it.
Dealing with abdominal obesity can be challenging and sometimes frustrating as it will require a lot of time for you to deal with it, but be rest assured with a little patience, you can achieve a much more comfortable belly.
First of all, underactive thyroid and a little daily activity can be a contributing factor to fatty belly. You will require medication for underactive thyroid and antidepressants for your depression if you are not already on them. These two conditions will need to be put under control.
You will require to start with daily exercises (3 to 4 sessions per week for 1-2 hours). You may start gradually, then intensify (you might require a personal trainer). If your HRT is responsible for your weight gain, then you will need to discuss with your doctor as regarding this (whether the benefits of the medications outweighs the detrimental effect of it). You might require prescription medications for the migraine.
I suggest you see a doctor regarding your situation which I think requires some real insight consideration.

Hope this helps and thanks for posting again.
Dr. Nsah