On medication for crohns disease. What are the benefits of aloe vera?

I have crohns disease, had it for nine years, and along with my medication take 2 pure Acidopholus capsules at night. I am looking into alternative supplements to complement my current meds.
I have read about the benefits of aloe Vera and was wondering whether the juice or capsules. Any advice would be appreciated about this or any other supplements.
My crohns is not active at the moment, I also do qigong and meditate every morning which I find reduces the stress levels, especially as I am getting married in three weeks and my stress levels are raised at the moment.
Posted Sun, 19 Aug 2012 in Chron's Disease
Answered by Dr. Prasad 6 hours later

I understand your concern and I shall provide you with useful information pertaining to your query.

There are many individuals I would say more than half of my patients with Inflammatory Bowel disease (IBD) like Crohn's Disease who ask me the same question - whether they can try alternative supplements / form of treatment. I write to you what I tell those patients.

Alternative supplements including aloe vera are not been found to produce significant benefits in patients with IBD consistently. There have been few small scale studies which showed some benefits, however there are plenty of other studies which contradict this statement. Furthermore, the alternative supplements may not have enough anti-inflammatory properties to predict they can be helpful in this condition. Besides, some of these supplements may interact with the current medical drugs and lower the treating properties.

So I do not suggest them to combine alternative treatment with current medications and to follow the medications prescribed by a gastroenterologist religiously.

My suggestions to you are the same.

I hope this suffices. Let me know if you need anything more.