On insulin for diabetic. Getting urge to urinate. Looking for suggestion

Thank you I am diabetic on insulin and have come up with Urine incompetency today and going to toilet every half hour
Posted Mon, 20 May 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 18 minutes later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

I understand your concern and shall try my best to explain everything in detail. Do write back to me if there is any additional information you require, I would be more than happy to help you.

Now coming to your query. As you must already know, there is an increased frequency of urination in diabetic patients. The reason for this is because of the increased amount of glucose in the blood, which causes and increased amount of fluid to be sent to the kidneys, resulting in increased thirst and urination.

As you have not mentioned when you have been diagnosed with diabetes (how long ago), I cannot say if this is a new development for you, or something that could be caused by other conditions.

Another aspect we would have to look into, is the fact that diabetics are vulnerable to infections (especially symptoms of a urinary tract infection (UTI) is frequent urination. You may also have other symptoms of a UTI like:
-Burning sensation while urinating
-Frequent urination
-Increased urge to urinate, but less amount of urine passed
-Lower abdominal and/or flank region pain
-Itching around the genitals
-Blood in urine or immediately after (not always seen)

But all the symptoms need not be present in one individual.

We will have to rule out all other causes before assuming the cause of the increased urination to be due to diabetes. For this, I would request you to visit your doctor and get your urine analysed. I hope I have explained everything in an appropriate manner.

In the meantime, please consume plenty of water to avoid getting dehydrated.

I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications. I would gladly help you.

Best wishes.
Follow-up: On insulin for diabetic. Getting urge to urinate. Looking for suggestion 51 minutes later
Thank you Dr Shoaib XXXXXXX
I have had diabetes 40 years. I have had this before but not for a long time, I had to do a Driving Test for licence last week and they did a urine test which showed high reading and readings have been high a couple of weeks, so thank you I will have to see my Doctor so will take a few days being weekend then appointment.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 4 minutes later

Thank you for the kind words.

A urine test will help in detecting high levels of glucose or an infection. If the urine test rules out an infection, then please get your glycemic profile checked, as uncontrolled glucose levels can also result in this kind of presentation.

Do not worry, you should be fine in no time. I am always available, whether it is a weekend or not, you can always write back to me and I shall be at your service.

Wishing you a speedy recovery and a beautiful life thereafter. I hope you found my response helpful and informative. Do write back to me for any further clarifications, or you could rate my answers after closing this discussion.

Best wishes.