On erythromycin for throat infection. Noticed purple marks on tongue. Should I consult a doctor?

ENT Specialist
Hi, I've been to the doctors recently and they gave me 500mg of erythromycin to be taken 4 times a day for a throat infection. I have suffered a lot in the past with tonsillitis but these seems to be worse. My blood pressure was high as was my temperature. I have been taking the antibiotics for 3 days and am starting to feel better but I have noticed a purple ish XXXXXXX on my tongue. Should I go back to the doctor or is this quite common?
Thank you in advance
Posted Mon, 12 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 58 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. It would help if you could share a close up image of the purple XXXXXXX on your tongue.

2. Overuse of antibiotics, mouthwashes, dehydration leading to bacterial and fungal overgrowth on the tongue and oral lichen planus may cause this.

3. A hematoma or poor blood circulation may also make the tongue appear blue or purple. Discoloration by foodstuff, tobacco products, vitamin deficiency, especially riboflavin (Vitamin B2 which may also be causing your sore throat) are other common causes.

4. You must seek the opinion of an ENT Specialist or Dentist.

5. Does it get brushed off? Do you use a mouthwash?

I must emphasize that this is not a cause for worry.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.