On depo, started bleeding and have yeast infection. Pap smear test showed chlymidia. Concerned

i had a pap while on my period , my pap came back normal but i have both forms of HPV previously , but its cleared on my test this time, but my Dr says i have chlymidia, im wondering if i was misdiagnoised with it instead of BV bc he isnt even a gyno hes a regular dr, and ive never had it b4 cuz ive been getting paps done for the last 3 years, and have a 1 yr old an 2 yr old sons and the same partner SO MY question is since i was bleeding when he swabbed me could it have given a false postive since HPV did not show on my results and ive been on Depo its been giving me bleeding problems yeast infections i also havent been to the gyno in a year and a half 100% faithful n my husbands never been tested for STDs so could he have it an now i caught it ?
Posted Wed, 7 Nov 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 5 hours later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question today.

If your doctor says you have Chlamydia, it is because it came back positive on a test. It can be tested off of the pap smear, in fact. The pathologists who read pap smears will make specific comments about the presence of bacteria related to BV. Chlamydia can be carried by women without any obvious symptoms. So you might have been an asymptomatic carrier for an undetermined period of time. You MUST get treated because if they are correct and you do NOT get treated, it can lead to a much more serious infection called PID. And yes, your husband must get treated as well.

With regard to blood present on a pap smear, this does not matter because they spin out the red blood cells. It does not take an OB/GYN to do a pap smear. Finally, with regard to HPV, if your pap smear is normal, then you are theoretically cleared, for the year, from any pre-cancerous changes related to prior HPV infection.

I hope this helps. Please ask if you have more questions.