On birth control. Had unprotected sex. Should I be worried for pregnancy?

Mar 2016

I had sex without a condom last night with my boyfriend. he pulled out before he finished and I'm on birth control but it has only been 12 days since I started. Should I be worried and should I use plan B just to be safe?
Posted Thu, 14 Mar 2013 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. S Patra 49 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to give answer according to your query.

Taking combined birth control pill is very much effective (more than 99.5%) in preventing unwanted pregnancy if it is taken on regular basis in scheduled time.

But for the first month of taking the pill, we recommend to use one extra method of contraception (either condom/ foam or emergency pill) for highest protection. After the first month, you can rely on the birth control pill.

Another thing, there is high failure rate (15-28%) in unprotected sex with pulled out method. It is seen that pre cum or prostatic fluid, secreted prior to actual ejaculation (in pulled out method), contains sperm and may cause pregnancy in some women. Though it totally depends on ovulation/ fertile period.

Therefore, I suggest you to take additional contraception like Plan B one step to stay in safe place and avoid unwanted pregnancy.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health & practice safe sex in future.

Dr Soumen.