On amoxil 500mg for strep throat. Have post nasal drip, throat is slightly red and irritated. What could be causing this?

ENT Specialist
Hi, I have recently been on Amoxil 500mg 2 caps BID for 10 days for strep throat. I have post nasal drip and my throat is still irritated. I have tender glands in my neck but no fever. My throat is slightly red and irritated. What could be causing this?
Posted Mon, 19 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 31 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. The Post Nasal Drip (PND) raises the possibility of a viral infection in addition to your strep throat. You have a history of Sinusitis. 'Biofilm' formation in the sinuses is a new concept that should be discussed with your physician.

2. I am assuming that the strep throat was diagnosed with a throat swab sent for culture and sensitivity or a rapid strep test.

3. The throat irritation may be due to a PND or breathing through the mouth due to nasal blockage. Acid reflux due to the antibiotic or an allergy may also cause throat irritation.

4. If you have many tender glands in the neck, Infectious Mononucleosis (IM) must be ruled out. Skin rashes are seen in patients with IM on Amoxicillin.

5. Inflammation due to infections requires other supportive treatment besides antibiotics alone. Anti-inflammatory, anti-allergic drugs, medicated gargles, lozenges and a bland diet are required in addition.

6. You should get your throat examined by an ENT Specialist. A throat swab is recommended at this point if your symptoms do not subside in a day or two.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.