On Novelle patch and progesterone. Having hot flashes, back pain and sciatica. Should I be serious?

I am on the Novelle patch and progesterone 10 mg/day...stopped for a couple days by mistake and got back on last Saturday..been having hot flashes again when they were previously under control and now I seem to be spotting a bit...worried it could be serious as I have also had back pain and sciatica for 4 weeks..
Posted Tue, 27 Aug 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 35 minutes later
Dear patient,

Thanks for the health concerns; most likely, the return of symptoms corresponds to hormonal level fluctuations because of missing the pills; in a similar fashion, women who miss birth control pills for contraception can have spotting or cramping pains; continue on your medications as before and allow your body to equilibrate again; if the symptoms persist after 10-14 days, then consultation with your family physician or ObGyn is in order.

Truly yours,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN