On MTP, lesion on the cervix during pap smear , vaccinated for cervical cancer. Is colposcopy, cryotherapy required ?

I am a 39 yrs old female with two children (normal delivery) and 1 MTP (using hormonal tablets). For the last two years whenever I have gone for my PAP smear test, the gynaes spotted a leison on my cervix, whereas both the times my PAP report was normal. This year the moment I got my report as favourable the first thing I did was to get myself vaccinated against cervical cancer. I have had two doses and the last one is due in December. One of the Dr is after me to get a colposcopy + cryotherapy done, whereas the other Dr. gave me certain antibiotics and told me to leave the leison as such as she finds it ther but not in very bad state. As per her, now when I have got the vaccine, I dont have to fear the dreaded. I know the practice of getting procedures done has become a business with private hospitals, but at the same time I dont want to take risk. I am and never was into multiple relations and neither my husband is.Pls advise.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Cervical and Ovarian Cancer
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 23 minutes later

A lesion on the cervix with a normal pap smear report is nothing to be worried about.

Having vaccination for HPV (human papilloma virus)almost protects you from cervical cancer. The lesions on the cervix are due to chronic inflammation. Such lesions are difficult to cure with antibiotics only.

Cryotherapy removes the lesion but if it does not have any abnormal cells then there is no need to undergo an unnecessary procedure.

You can go for a follow up PAP(Papanicolaou test) smear every six months to find out any change in the recent past.

Hope this answers your query.I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Follow-up: On MTP, lesion on the cervix during pap smear , vaccinated for cervical cancer. Is colposcopy, cryotherapy required ? 42 minutes later
That means, despite having got vaccinated, I still have to go for screening of PAP smear every 6/12 months??
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 24 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.

It is advisable to go for pap smear even if you are vaccinated.

You can do it once a year.

Hope my answer is helpful. Write back if you have further queries.