On Lorazepam, want to switch to Celexa. Had history of anxiety. How to wean off?

Hi, I've been on Lorazepam 2.5mg for 3 months now. I take 0.5mg in the morning, 1mg at dinner, and 1mg at bedtime. I want to switch now to Celexa 10mg, but, don't know how to wean the Lorazepam at the same time. I'm 63 years old, 5'6", 159pounds. With a history of anxiety.
Posted Thu, 10 Oct 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Switching strategy should be slow taper and stop

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the query

It is a good decision to shift to Celexa for anxiety disorder

In the initial 1-2 week of starting celexa or increasing the dose of celexa, anxiety may increase. Therefore, usually, it is suggested to continue lorazepam as it is till 2 weeks of starting Celexa. Then, keep decreasing lorazepam by 0.25 mg to 0.5 mg every 4 days to 7 days depending upon the symptomatology or as advised by your treating psychiatrist

Hope this helps
Follow-up: On Lorazepam, want to switch to Celexa. Had history of anxiety. How to wean off? 10 hours later
I don't quite understand, do I immediately start decreasing the lorazepam dose by 0.25 mg daily until I reach 0.5 mg daily by the end of seven days??? And than stop??? I'm going to start Celexa tomorrow.
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
answer is elaborative

Detailed Answer:
what I was discussing was :

You need to continue lorazepam at same dose as you are taking now, till 2 weeks from tomorrow (if you are starting celexa tomorrow)

After 2 weeks from now, lorazepam should be decreased 0.25 mg every 4 days till it reaches zero mg (that means complete stoppage of lorazepam).

Hope it is clear now