On IVF, advised to take Gonapeptyl. Is it safe to take ?

Hi Doctor,

My name is XXXXXXX and i was taking a treatment for IVf, and doctor has recommended 'Gonapeptyl 0.5mg/scl', so do let me know if its fine for my health and wont be having any long term side effect, as when i search for it at net, i saw that it will decrease the sex harmones. So, i am bit worried before proceeding.

So, kindly suggest me what should i do.

Moreover, they have recommended me the following medicines,

Tablet progynova 2mg
Meprate 10Mg
Tablet Doxy01 (100MG)
Canestan Vagina tablet

So, also let me know if there are all safe.

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Chetna Jain 1 hour later
Gonapeptyl is used frequently in IVF cycles for down regulation
This is to achieve identical maturity of various follicles during ovulation induction.
This fetches greater number of foliicles at egg aspiration and hence reduces the chances of cycle cancellation.
The action of Gonapeptyl is hormone suppression which is temporary.It can have certain other side effects like temporary loss of desire, bone weakness etc but when used on such short duration it has no significant implications unless there are preexisting diseases.
A treatment is given when the benefit outweighs the risk so believe in it.
Doxy progynova meprate canesten are all safe during this time.
wish you good luck
Pl proceed with the treatment without hesitation unless you have some other relevant disease contraindicating the same.
You mentioned that you are a healthy adult. Hence I dont see any worry
Follow-up: On IVF, advised to take Gonapeptyl. Is it safe to take ? 8 minutes later
Thanks Doctor for your fast response.

I am feeling relaxed now.

Answered by Dr. Chetna Jain 53 minutes later
Thank you for writing back.
Its good that I was able to relieve your anxiety.