Old patient with liver problem. Should I give ziffi cv or just ziffi?

My grand mom has a liver condition.. Should we give her ziffi cv or just ziffi..
Posted Thu, 20 Dec 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 1 hour later
Zifi (cefixime) is an antibiotic that is generally safe for patients with liver conditions, however it can cause liver toxicity, and patients can become yellow (or "jaundiced").
The antibiotic Zifi CV is a combination of cefixime plus clavulanic acid, which makes the antibiotic stronger, but with slightly higher chances of side effects, including liver side effects. For a simple urine cultures.
All this is valid if she has an advanced liver disease, however you did not specify what type of liver problem. I would be careful if she has cirrhosis, or if she has history of autoimmune problems or medication reactions in the past. Otherwise Zifi CV should be ok.
Hope that helped.