Old age. Waking up with stiff penis with sharp pain. Penis shrunk, erection less. What causes this?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I am 74 years old and reasonably fit for my age slightly overweight and don't look my age . approx. 4 years ago i would wake up with stiff penis that had a sharp pain which would gradually decrease . since then the font of my penis has shrunk and has reduced in size by at least half when trying to have an erection ( which does not harden fully) apart from not being able to have sex ,i practically have to sit down to urinate as the head of the penis is so far back in the foreskin
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Erectile Dysfunction
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 6 hours later

The symptoms you are experiencing since 4 yrs seem like priapism which is painful penile erections due to trapping of blood in the blood vessels of penis. It can be due to numerous causes like blood and vascular disorders or age related atherosclerotic changes, etc. If not investigated and treated in time it can lead to decreased blood supply to penis head & erectile dysfunction in future like what you seem to suffer.

Other possibilities can be age related cavernous body degeneration where the elastic tissues of penis which expand on erection are replaced with scar tissue which cannot expand and cause penis shrinking and inability to attain erection.

Adding to the other problems, the decreased testosterone hormone in aged males may contribute to the sexual dysfunction.

So considering your symptoms you seem to have a significant degree of penis shrinkage as urination is also affected, I would advise you to consult a urologist to confirm this possibility and start appropriate treatment to prevent further damage and permanent erectile dysfunction.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept this answer if you do not have any further queries. Should you have any additional queries, I will be available to help you further.