Old age. Cough worse at night with phlegm. Why do I cough worse when hot?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
74 years old 5ft 9in 63 kg
Couhing up phlegm when I get up in the morning not bad during the day coughing again in the evening.
Cough when I get too hot
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Coughing up phlegm during morning and evening does indicate chronic bronchitis. The aggravation of coughing happens on sudden temperature change.
Impacted phelgm needs systemic antibiotics to deal with the infection you are having in your airways. You will have to consult your physician to get the best antibiotic and brochodilators prescribed for you. Steroids- both oral and inhalers might be needed for symptomatic relief.
However the best treatment for impacted mucus is steam inhalation. Inhaling steam from a bowl of hot (but not boiling water) may help to soften, and loosen, the buildup of mucus in your nose. You may also find that adding some menthol crystals, or eucalyptus oil, to the water helps a lot. Other than that, avoid eating indigestible, spicy, foods and meats and eat simple wholesome foods. Out-of-door exercise, sunbaths also help a lot.
If you have fever or the cough is worsening then it is advisable to get a X-ray chest done to rule out pneumonia as well.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.