Ask a Urologist   »  

Odour in urine. Physical and urine analysis done. Showed bacteria in urine. Advise and treatment?

I notice a strange odor in urine, otherwise no symptoms. I had a physical exam. & urnaliysis showed bacteria in urine. What do you advise?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 44 minutes later

Normal urine is clear and straw colored; the odor of urine can vary.
- If there is low intake of water or dehydration, the urine is more concentrated and may have a stronger odor than normal.
- When there is an infection in the urinary tract, the urine may take on a foul-smelling odor as well as appear cloudy or bloody.

A presence of bacteria in urine can be sign of infection. Bacteria can grow when urine stays in the bladder too long and can give rise to a bad odor.

It is important to see the other parameters like color of urine, presence of pus cells, presence of albumin which are also commonly seen during urine infection. I wish you to upload the urine test done so that I can get the picture clearly.

Although it seems uncomplcated urine infection I would suggest you to consult your physician and get antibiotics like Nitrofurantoin or Ofloxacin prescribed to treat the infection.
In addition drink plenty of water.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Take care and Regards